Even if the Web is the easiest and most popular resource when you are searching for a home to buy, referrals are still No. 1 in the way buyers and sellers are able to buy or sell their home. When you ask someone how they were able to find their new home, 43% of them would say it was referred by a friend, a neighbor or a relative.
In referral marketing this is known as a word of mouth. It is passing of information from one person to another person by oral communication, It is as simple as telling someone about something. When you tell someone that you are searching for a home to buy, that person will refer you to people who have information about homes for sale. Referrals are the best means by which you can find out who are selling homes.
Who to ask
- Family, friends and neighbors.
- Business acquaintances and contacts. They have a larger circle of friends. They have the potential to connect you to their contacts.
- Store owners in your neighborhood. Customers talk to them and they have lots of information about what’s happening in your community. They can pass the word around that you are looking for a home to buy.
- Taxi Drivers – they drive around a lot and it is possible that they have seen a signage of a home for sale somewhere in the neighborhood.
Why Does Asking for Referrals work?
- People by nature are helpful. It makes them feel good that they are able to give you some assistance. They are willing to help anyone who is thinking about selling or buying a home.
- People like to talk. If you give them something to talk about, they will talk about it with anyone they meet.
- People feel good when you empower them to help you. They will lead you to other people.
- If you do not ask you will never get an answer. For all you know, there are people out there who knows somebody who is selling a home.
Do not be embarrassed to ask. Just ask one simple question like, “I am looking for a new home. Do you know of a home that is for sale?” People might say “No, but I have a friend who knows. Tell him that I referred him to you. This is his number.”