Two of the most common print media channel for home searches are newspapers and magazines. However, billboards, direct mail, brochures and transit ads are also considered print publications that are used as offline home search resources.
Using print publications for home search has its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of Print Publication in Home Search
- It allows people to see static messages that can persuade them to buy the home being advertised.
- It allows the buyer to see an image with full information about the home that is for sale.
- The buyer can read a full explanation of the benefits he will get when he buys the home for sale.
- It catches the interest of readers. Most people still buy and read newspapers and magazines. Local newspapers contain current news of their locality. People also want to take note of promotions offered by local businesses. Magazine readers are interested to read messages related to the theme of the magazine. If they are reading a home design magazine, readers will thoroughly review and analyze an advertisement for a home for sale
Disadvantages of Print Publication in Home Search
- Advertisements are cluttered in most print publications. The reader will get lost in the hundreds of ads of a local newspaper. Magazines become thicker because publishers are selling more ad space to cover for rising printing cost.
- There are too many billboards in metropolitan areas, the buyer will not be able to see the message about a home for sale.
- Most local newspapers are limited to their geographical segmentation so buyers cannot find a home for sale outside of his locality. The television has a wider range of audience.
- Newspapers and magazine are for a diversified audience so a home searcher will have limited choices of homes.
- Home advertisements in print publications are not always updated. A home for sale may have already been sold but it is still advertised in the newspapers or magazines.
- All print publications are expensive and buyers will find them costly.
The best way to search for a new home is to use as many channels as possible in order to find the right home that meets the needs and requirements of the family. Concentrating on one home search resource is like putting your egg in one basket. A little perseverance and patience will always led you to the home of your dreams.